Bacon and Leek Quiche
5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup diced leeks
pinch of thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
6 eggs, gently blended
single pie crust (see recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line a pie plate with pastry and blind bake for 15 minutes.
3. Add butter to a skillet. Saute leeks until tender.
4. Whisk eggs in a bowl and add the leeks and bacon. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Add cheese and mix together.
5. Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake 45 - 50 minutes until set. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
- sift together 5 1/2 cups of flour and 1 tsp salt
- use a pastry blender to break up one pound of pure lard into the flour until it forms a crumbly texture
- mix together 1 egg and a Tbsp of vinegar and enough water to make 1 cup
- mix the liquid into the flour mixture using your hands until you have a ball
- divide the ball into 6 equal parts (each is enough for one pie crust)
* Pastry dough can be frozen for use at a later time.